Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, May 13, 2013

Spinach Power Salad

I like Panera. How can one not like Panera? They have a great menu. Not exactly Paleo friendly but if you know what is going to be in your food, you can have them leave it out since they make it all fresh. 

So the BB and I went to Panera for dinner on Sunday. Surprisingly it was busy since it was Mother's Day. I got the Strawberry Poppy Seed and Chicken Salad. It was delicious and HUGE! But I ate it all. Only 350 calories and 13g fat. The BB got the Spinach Power Salad minus the frizzled onions...frizzled what? Yeah, those are the french fried onions from a can, I'm sure. That salad is 460 calories and 25g of fat! Whoa! And his portion was small. I couldn't believe how tiny his salad was. He's 6'3 people. He needs a little more than the average bear...

So I replicated the salad tonight for dinner. Here's how it went:

Spinach from the farmers market, chopped
6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
4 strips of bacon, all the fat removed
10 oz baby bella mushrooms, quartered
vidalia onion, chunks
I had some vidalia onion dressing

Roast the mushrooms and onions with a little sea salt together for 20 - 25 minutes. (I also used a little Fustini's Sage and Wild Mushroom Olive Oil).Let cool. Make the hard boiled eggs ahead of time so they can cool after they are peeled. If you have issues with making eggs, like my mother :), google it. This is what I did here.

Here is the cost breakdown:
Spinach $3.00
6 eggs $.50
4 strips of bacon $.60
Baby bella mushrooms $1.99
vidalia onion $.50
approx $6.59

You don't need a lot of dressing so I didn't calculate that. I will be finding a Paleo friendly vidalia vinaigrette to make next time. This fed 2. There is still some spinach (my lunch tmrw) and egg. I'll have to make more bacon tmrw. Ah...bacon! ♥

BB says this is a keepa'!

No comments:

Post a Comment